|Savory Butternut Squash Soup|| |
The combination of flavors and tastes appeal to our senses and make this a delicious and satisfying fall soup.
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 8 ounces cleaned and chopped mushrooms
- 1 red or yellow pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 5 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 3-4 pounds cut and peeled butternut squash (about 2 squash)
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- ½ cayenne pepper
- salt and pepper to taste
- sour cream and chopped chives or pumpkin seeds for garnish (optional)
- Saute onions, mushrooms and peppers in olive oils until onions translucent and vegetables soft.
- Add broth.
- Add squash and stir. Continue cooking on medium to slow boil.
- Add curry, paprika, turmeric and cayenne pepper.
- Cook on low-medium heat until squash softens.
- Let cool for about 5-10 minutes.
- Use hand blender to pulverize. (You may leave in pot)
- Bring back to boil and cook until soup is desired consistency. (Should be a medium thickness)
- Add salt and pepper to taste. If you like more heat, add more cayenne pepper. You can also add more curry powder if you enjoy the flavor of curry.
- Garnish with dollop of sour cream and pumpkin seeds or chives.