|Roasted Root Vegetables|| |
- You can select a variety of vegetables, but I recommend trying red potatoes, onion, rutabaga, garlic, parsnips, carrots, and/or turnips as a start in any combination. Beets are fine as well. but red beets will stain the other vegetables. I usually leave skin on red potatoes. Ginger, horseradish and some other vegetables have strong flavors which are wonderful for other dishes, but may be overpowering for roasting with the other vegetables.Generally 1-2 medium vegetable translate into one portion size. So for a portion of 6, start with 6-8 vegetables of medium size.
- Wash and peel vegetables. Pat dry.
- Cut vegetables into 1 inch cubes or ½ inch by 1½ inch strips.
- Toss in olive oil and kosher salt. Olive oil should lightly coat vegetables and be as evenly distributed as possible.
- Place in roasting pan and bake at 425 degrees for about 50-60 minutes, or until vegetables are tender and sugars in vegetables have caramelized, giving them a golden glow. You may toss vegetables to mix and turn at about midway, or about at 20 minutes.
- Serve in bowl and add fresh ground pepper and top with parsley, dill or thyme.