|Power Lentil Soup|| |
Recipe type: Power Lentil Soup
Enjoy this powerful soup on a day you need to recharge. Rest assured it is filled with antioxidents, fiber, vitamins and minerals to help you power through a tough time. Feel free to add other vegetables you might have or want to include when you add the carrots and celery. The good news is that is stays well in refrigerator for a few days and tastes better every day.
- 1 pound lentil beans
- 2 medium sized leeks: cut and sliced into small pieces; use the white to light green parts
- 2 medium onions: chopped
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 6 stalks of chopped celery
- 2 medium tomatoes chopped or 1 pint of grape tomatores
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 4 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 2 cups chopped spinach
- 10 cups chicken broth or vegetable stock
- 3 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- ½ cup fresh chopped parsley
- salt and pepper to taste
- parmesan cheese to top
- Rinse and drain lentils.
- Heat the onions, leeks and garlic on low heat in olive oil in large soup pot.
- Saute until vegetables are translucent.
- Add celery, carrots, tomatoes, turmeric, cumin and tomato paste to mix. Continue to saute for 10 minutes.
- Add the chicken broth and bring to boil.
- Cover and reduce heat.
- Cook for 60 minutes, until lentils are tender. You may add water if consistancy is too thick.
- Stir in spinach and parsley and cook for 5 minutes more.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve with grated parmesan cheese. ENJOY!!!