|Ginger and Chicken Congee|| |
Recipe type: Main dish/side dish
Serves: 6 portions
Congee is a satisfying rice porridge slow-cooked with a high water to rice ratio. It is a blank palette for adding meats, seafood, spices and vegetables. I love this chicken and ginger combination, cooked on the stove top. A great meal for when you're feeling under-the-weather.
- 2 bone-in chicken breasts
- 1 cup white rice, jasmine works well
- 10 cups of water
- 4 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup of sliced green onion
- 4-5 chunks of sliced fresh ginger
- sriracha, extra green onion and soy sauce for topping
- Put rice, water, chicken, ginger, salt and onion into pot.
- Cook on medium heat until boiling and reduce to low heat.
- Cook for 2 hours, until chicken is cooked.
- Remove chicken and let cool. Continue simmer of rice mixture.
- After chicken cools, shred into meat into small and thin pieces and put back into soup. (leave bones out)
- Stir and continue to cook until rice is disintegrated and soup thickens.
- May add more water if soup becomes too thick. Ideal consistency is a heart, pearly porridge.
- Cook for additional 30 minutes and remove ginger chunks with slatted spoon.
- Serve in individual bowls and top with soy sauce, sriracha and onions as desired.