|Fried Green Tomatoes|| |
Serves: 4-6 portions
Fried green tomatoes are a Southern delicacy and green tomatoes abundant in the early fall season.
- 3-4 large green tomatoes
- 1 egg
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup flour (can substitute almond flour for gluten free)
- ½ cup corn meal
- canola oil for frying
- 1 teaspoon salt
- pepper to taste
- Slice tomatoes in ½ inch thick slices.
- Whisk egg and milk together; stir in corn meal and flour. Add salt and several turns of cracked pepper.
- Dip tomato slices in batter and let excess drip off.
- Add light layer of canola oil to frying pan over medium flame.
- Place battered tomatoes in oil and cook until each side brown.
- Remove from pan and drain on rack or paper towel.
- Enjoy with herb remoulade, cajun mayo or red pepper sauce.